Monday, April 19, 2021

"POJO Module" - Infosys, Mysore Diaries - #BlogChatterA2Z

 After a day of rest and peace, I went back to training with a positive mind. The instructor, Gaurav noticed me but did not ask why I hadn’t returned to the class yesterday. Halfway through the class, when we were all working on a problem, he came to my place casually and said, “Hope you’re feeling okay”. 

I nodded and did not say anything. Having nothing else to say, he walked back to the deice awkwardly.

“Guess he realized that he was very rude yesterday”, Anusha said. 

“I don’t care anymore”, I said. Rishi listened to our conversation and gave me a thumbs up. 

*

The week passed by quickly and soon it was time for the Comprehensive exam (called “compri” exam). The Compre exam was like a half-yearly exam and it was a big deal. Trainees who cleared the compri exam and had a certain GPA were promoted to “Stream training”, the streams being either “Java”, “Dotnet”, “Finacle”, etc.  Not clearing the compri exam meant going home without a job. 

The exam itself was rumored to be straight forward than all the module tests so far. But we would have questions from all the modules covered so far and this required a lot of revision. Weeks passed by quickly with a lot of studying in the GEC1 building and we would go home late around 11 PM. 

Finally, the day of the exam came by and the atmosphere was quite tense. I looked at the questions, they were not so tough. Soon enough, I finished the exam and nervously clicked on “Finish”. The Devsquare application displayed, “Calculating results” and in a few seconds, displayed my score. I had passed the exam and also had the required GPA to continue stream training. I gave a sigh of relief. I then looked around and saw people finishing their exams and checking scores. Soon it was all over. All my friends have passed the exam with flying colors. 

We had all officially completed the first half of the training and were now ready for the next half, “Stream training”.

*

“Hope we all get selected for the same stream. Else, we’ll have to go to different classes and our timings will also vary. How does the stream placement happen?”, Myra said. 

“People are selected for streams randomly. It’s like a lottery system”, Arjun said.

This random placement method seemed fair looking at a high-level view but what if we get selected for a stream that we are not interested in? For example, I was okay with either Java or Dotnet stream but was dead against being placed in the Finacle stream. It involved training of a product called Finacle. Why would anyone be interested in being training for an exclusive product instead of a broader subject like Java? I tutted loudly.

“When can we expect our placement emails?”, I asked them.

“Anytime today”, Myra said.

I hung up the call, it was a group call. It was Saturday and we were all resting in the hostel after all the preparation for the Compri test. I resumed the movie on TV and in some time, I got a call from Anusha.

“People are getting their placement emails. Let’s head to the classroom”, she said in an urgent tone. We could not access Infosys email from mobile phones. I called up Myra, Arjun and got ready in a minute. We all met in front of our building and without speaking, we started jogging to the training center. 

*

“JAVA”, I exclaimed. 

“Me too”, Anusha replied. I looked at Arjun, “Java”, he mouthed. I gave him a thumbs up and turned back to look at Myra. 

“Java”, she said, her eyes were wide. I felt elated. But for some reason, Myra did not look as happy as we did. I immediately went to her place and she pointed at Chetan’s screen. 

“Dotnet”, it said. I felt bad for them but did not know what to say. I did not like Chetan much but I had gotten used to him and he was a part of our group now. I gently patted Myra and went back to my place. I knew they needed space. 

*

Soon, it was Monday and the first day of Stream training. Our training center was going to be the magnificent GEC2. I entered our classroom and to my pleasant surprise, my place was no longer in the first row. Anusha, Rishi, Swati, and I were in the middle rows. Myra and Arjun sat one row ahead of us. 

The instructor entered the class and gave an introduction to stream training in JAVA. 

“POJO”, he said, “is the most important module and it covers a major percentile of your GPA”.

I opened the training material and looked at the module, “POJO”. “POJO” stands for “Plain Old Java Objects”. The module seemed very intense with many slides and never-ending practice session examples. 




“The POJO module covers the fundamentals of JAVA. If you pay attention to this module, I can guarantee you success in-stream training”, he concluded.

I decided to take this course very seriously. I knew how GPA worked. I had a bitter experience with the course RDBMS in “Generics Training”, it had badly impacted my overall GPA. 

The instructor looked at our grave faces and said,

“Chill guys. Don’t worry now. POJO is the second module. The first module of stream training is very simple”, he said.



                                        *

The first module got finished in 3-4 days and before we knew it, training for the POJO module began. I don’t want to go into the details but the 1 week of POJO training went by with a lot of focus. We all worked very hard the entire week. On the day of the POJO – exam, I finished the test and when the Dev Square application displayed “Passed” along with my score, I felt extremely relieved and happy.


-- To be continued


This post is a part of the Blogchatter A2Z Challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogchatter Book Review - "Incredible India Bucket List" by Aditya Sathe

 I came across this book through the Blogchatter Ebook Carnival and am glad that I got an opportunity to read it.  Early in the book, the au...