Saturday, April 17, 2021

"Oasis" - Infosys, Mysore Diaries - #BlogChatterA2Z

The day after the long walk, I got out of my bed with great difficulty and somehow managed to go to class. 

Myra had asked me on the way to class, “What? How come you were out until 3:30 AM? Are you mad?”

It still did not make sense that I spent so much time with Anusha and Rishi but when it gave me happiness, why question? 

I sat in my place when Rishi came running into the class. He did not look sleep-deprived like me. I looked at Anusha, she did not look sleepy at all. How come I was the only one who looked as if I hadn’t slept for a thousand years! 

Also, I’d expected awkwardness between us three after last night’s long walk but I did not even feel an ounce of it anymore. Maybe that’s how friendships are born, unexpected and deep.

Gaurav, our instructor took attendance and started the session. I once again got “Good luck” emails from Myra and Arjun. Somehow, I was not interested in Gaurav like before, I think my fondness for him lasted for about a week. Guess that’s why they call these short-lived feelings “crush” and nothing serious. On the other hand, the word “Love” sounds so serious, it has a different feel to it too. I was thinking along the same lines when Anusha nudged me. Gaurav had stopped the class was looking at me gravely. I panicked and looked around. The whole class was silent. 

“Yes, ma'am. Does my class sound like a lullaby to you?”, he said.

I was shocked at his rudeness. I couldn’t believe Gaurav could be so stern!

“No sir”, I stumbled. 

“I expect my students to be attentive in class. Can you please go out, have some tea and come back when you’re ready?”, he said.

“Sorry Sir, I am always attentive in classes. I am not feeling well today.”, I said. I felt quite indignant, this happened for the first time. What’s the big deal?

“Which is why am suggesting you to come back when you’re ready.”, he insisted. At this point, I felt insulted and left the classroom without speaking another word. I was able to feel all eyes in the classroom following me. 

So much for having a crush on him all these days! I was angry, humiliated, and sleepy. Instead of waiting there for 10 minutes and go back to the class, I started walking very fast and did not stop. I'd decided to skip the class and go straight to my room. I knew this was reckless but I did not care. I was getting messages to my phone but I did not check them. After walking for 15 minutes or so, I reached my hostel. I was surprised to reach it so quickly, it usually took 20-25 minutes. 

However, on reaching the hostel, I did not feel like going to the room and walked towards the Oasis food court. I wanted to gather my thoughts, have some tea or coffee, and then go back to the hostel room. 

The Oasis food court was a 5-10-minute walk from our hostel. On seeing the umbrella-shaped familiar food court, I felt better. The food court was large and spacious and had a lot of ventilation due to the umbrella-like canopy. 


 Also, this was home – we came to this food court at least once a day either for lunch or dinner! I stepped inside it and choose a table. I looked around, the food court which was always buzzing with trainees had almost nobody around.




I checked if Café Coffee Day was open and walked towards it, ordered a Cappuccino, and went back to my table. I checked my phone – there were messages from Myra and Arjun, they were worried about me. 

In about 5 minutes, I picked up my order and had a sip of the coffee. I felt alive. With each sip, I felt much better, and by the time I finished the whole cup, I had a slightly positive outlook on what happened. This is what coffee does to me.  

I started sending a text to Myra and Arjun when I suddenly got Anusha’s call. It must be break time.

“Where are you?”, she asked.

“Oasis”, I said. 

“She’s at Oasis”, she said to someone and hung up the call. I was puzzled. In about 5 minutes, I was just about to leave the food court when I saw Myra, Arjun, Anusha, and Rishi walking towards me! I was shell-shocked. They had bunked the class for me and I was touched by their gesture. Tears began welling up in my eyes. One look at me and they seemed to understand. 

 “I’ll get some coffee, am sleepy”, Arjun said in a pretentiously normal tone and walked towards Coffee Day.

“I’ll help him with the order”, Myra said and followed Arjun. 

“I am very sleepy, so I’ll help them”, Anusha said, feeling stupid of her lame excuse. 

I laughed. Soon, Rishi also left on the pretext of helping them.

I wiped my tears and gave a happy sigh. 

When they came back with coffees, everything was back to normal and we all spoke as if nothing has happened. Since that day, the Oasis food court grew closer to my heart.



-- To be continued


This post is a part of the Blogchatter A2Z Challenge.


4 comments:

  1. I dashed in here halfway through but I must say this sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the future posts...

    ReplyDelete

Blogchatter Book Review - "Incredible India Bucket List" by Aditya Sathe

 I came across this book through the Blogchatter Ebook Carnival and am glad that I got an opportunity to read it.  Early in the book, the au...